Veronica Venom Admin replied

475 weeks ago

So yesterday, we pugged a DPS to run Turn 5. We dropped in a couple of times, and for the most part, it was a good first try. There seems to be an expectation from the community who have run Coil that you're going to succeed the first time, and I think this is completely unfair. A comment was made that to learn, we should have split up so that only one new person goes at a time. I'm going to be the first to say that's complete crap, and of course, I'll tell you why.

When any new content is experienced, people should feel comfortable to make mistakes. With an expectation of perfection, there's too much stress placed on each party member and when mistakes do happen, even the most seasoned person will make them, people start to feel pressured. Then there's the general harassment, whether by voice or by chat window and the inevitable quitting of the raid.

One could always get a carry. Hey, they're offered every day in party finder, and if that's your think, I won't take that away from you. On the other hand, it's my feeling that I won't improve if I spend every fight with no responsibility or accountability. How would I ever expect to farm it? We see those people, they join farm parties and drop the ball the whole time, because they never learned the fight in the first place.

My take is that to do well, you need to feel comfortable to completely botch things up, and it should be just fine with all of the party members involved. That's why it's called a "learning party" not a "farm party" or "carry". So what if it takes 15 or 20 tries.

So why the expectation that perfection happen out the gate? Realistically, it's a combination of things. The videos online don't show you the failures, they show you the successes. "Here's my guide to Garuda Extreme". These people are in static groups, which means that they know each other's strengths and weaknesses, they were on a voice chat, and they knew that they would fail, but they learned each phase of the fight as they went along by doing so. The videos go up on YouTube and then everybody thinks that if things don't go exactly as the video shows, it's someone else's fault in the party. Why? Because they don't take accountability for their own mistakes. We all know that person, "wasn't me" when it most certainly was.

Another reason people have this expectation is that these folks have already done it a few times and have generally forgotten their own frustration and mistakes of their first runs. They just want their free soldiery and to move on.

Learning to run end game content should be done with patient folks who can laugh off mistakes and generally enjoy their time in the raid. If you can do that, you will get much more whether you are learning or teaching.
Please log in to post a reply.